Saturday, September 15, 2012

Ragnar 2012 legs 30-36

Our last 6 legs of Ragnar has finally come.  Heather started her last leg around 10:30am.  It was cold, but she was excited.  Running the last 6 legs through beautiful Napa to Calistoga was breathtaking.  The scenery was beautiful.  One of our runners, Anna ran over 8 miles along the vineyards, and she was enjoying her run and taking it all in.  I had to wait all day to run my last leg.  I started at 2:08 in the afternoon.  The weather was heating up and by 2pm, it was about 90 degrees.  It was so hot!  My first 3 miles was along Hwy 29, and there was absolutely no shade.  It was brutal.  I brought a water bottle beause my leg had no van support.  Once I got to the water station about 2.75 miles into it, I refilled and just had to pour the water over my head to cool off. 
 
There were times when I had to walk because I was so overheated.  I was feeling good, my legs felt great, but I was just SO hot, and I knew that I don't do well in the heat, so I was prepared that it wasn't going to be my best run.  Along the way, I had to pee, so I found a tree along the side of the road and popped a squat and went.  Luckily there were no cars passing at the time.  I was walking when I saw the Calistoga city sign, I took a picture, texted my van and said I'm running all the way there.  And that's what I did.  That gave me motivation to run the rest of the way. 
 
When I came near the finish line, my entire team was waiting to run across the finish line with me.  What a way to end 194 miles of running for 34 hours.  I was in an amazing van with great women.  My sister, Heather, a good friend Lea Ralph, and her three running friends, Anna, Sarah & Annalynn  It was an amazing experience and I will definitely do it again.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment